Port Union - The largest industrial centre outside St. John's. Here
is located the headquarters of The Fishermen's Protective Union
and The Union Trading Co., Newfoundland's biggest co-operative movement.
Founded in 1909 [sic] by Sir William Ford Coaker, K.B.E., it has grown
to be the biggest factor in the commercial life of the country. Here is
located the gigantic stores, warehouses, shipping piers, shipbuilding dockyards
of the Union Trading Co., the plant of the Union Electric Light and Power
Company, and the printing plant of the Fishermen's Advocate
Operating in connection with the Port Union Plant are some forty co-operative
stores. These stores are located in the principal centres of the northern
section of the Island. The Union Trading Co. does an enormous export business
in codfish and other fishery products and maintains representatives in
all the principal European fish centres. Excellent partridge shooting and
trout fishing may be had a short distance from Port Union and other pleasure
seekers can make arrangements for motor tours to the principal towns nearby.
Steamers call regularly coming and going from St. John's. The town is well
lighted and has some splendid buildings, chief amongst them being Congress
Hall, built on an imposing elevation above the town. Mail and telegraphic
communication is up to the minute and the town is fast growing in population.
Tourists and all visitors are always welcome at the Union Trading Co. premises
where a modern up-to-date plant is daily operating for the packing and
marking of codfish for market. It is a not unfrequent sight to see hundreds
of fishing vessels laying in port to discharge their cargoes, or see large
steamers loading fish cargoes for European ports.