|This course provides an in-depth examination of the religious themes and issues arising from and within the Disney franchise, including Disney Animated feature films, other Disney films and cartoons, and the Disney theme parks. The course will explore the religious convictions of Walt Disney himself, and the impact of his philosophies on the Disney franchise. Theoretical models drawn from the field Religion and Popular Culture will provide the lens through which the religious themes present within Disney films, the reaction of the religious right to Disney via a study of the Disney Boycott, and the religious dimensions of Disney fandom will be explored.|
Students in the Religion and Disney course have a choice of assignments. Below you will find research websites designed by students in previous semesters of Religion and Disney course, and a link to our Disney and Religion fan video page, with videos created by students in the course. Research essays by students are unfortunately not available online.
Sample Video Assignment - click image to watch
Sample Video commentary: This fan vid represents a video response to a several things, including 1) feminist-inspired interpretations of Mulan, that argue that while Disney's Mulan is more complex than some Disney representations of women, she nonetheless ultimately reinforces "the patriarchal status quo"... and 2) comments made by a Christian movie reviewer posted here, which read in part... READ MORE
Tutorials on making a Fan video
Software for "ripping" (making a digital copy of) your DVDs
MakeMKV DVD ripping software (free)
DVDFab DVD ripping software (shareware - some features free, others $)
Files too big? You might need to compress them a bit before editing...
Video editing software to edit your ripped (and possibly compressed) DVD files
Windows Movie Maker (Free for Windows - you probably already have this installed, check before downloading)
iMovie (Free for Macs - you probably already have this installed - check before downloading)
Sony Vegas Pro Free Trial - a popular choice for fanvid makers, but $ to purchase after trial expires
- Saviors and Redeemers in Disney
- Ariel: Not a Typical Disney Princess!
- Finding Religion in LOST
- The Lion King
- Son of Zeus
- Consumerism: Not just another Mickey Mouse Problem
- Disney's The Lion King and Religion
- Disney and C.S. Lewis
- Disney and the Seven Deadly Sins
- Tia Dalma/Calypso and Religion
- The Devil is in the Details: The Judeo-Christian Devil within Disney Villains
- Religion in Hercules
- Fantasia: Artistic Expression or Christian Heresy?
- The Lamb and the Mouse: Christ Figures in Disney
- Lilo and Stitch: Religious and Moral Themes
- Witchcraft in Disney
- All 4 One: Religious Dimensions in High School Musical?
- Disney's Fantasia and Religion
- Religion at the Heart of Kingdom Hearts
- Religion and LOST
- A Spoonful of Sugar helps the Message go down: Religion in the World of Mary Poppins
- The True Intentions of Disney: The Pioneer of Tolerance or the Evil Empire?
- Who is the Fairest One of All? Religious implications of Disney's Snow White
- Evolution of Evil in Disney: Disney Villains Through the Decades
- Disney's Holyland
- Jinn, Jinnee, Genie: The Progression of the Genie to Disney's Aladdin
- Disney vs Wicca: The misconceptions of Wicca in Disney's Hocus Pocus
- Disney, Wicca and Witchcraft
- The Men of Disney
- Aladdin and Religion: A Whole New World
- Native American Spirituality in Disney's Pocahontas
- Subliminal Messaging and The Disney Corporation
- Hannah Montana: A Disney (pop) Princess to be Proud of!
- The Disney Nomos: Disney as Religion
- Disney as Religion
- Disney's Family and Ancestors
- Princess, Smincess
- The Little Robot that Could: Religion in Disney Pixar's Wall-E
- The Spirit of Nature in Disney
- Animals and Nature in Disney
- The Magic of Nature in Disney
- Classism in Disney's Sky High
- What's Up Disney
- Religion and Disney's Tron
- Disney's Aladdin: Racist and Sexual?
- Cinderella: Feminist or Non-Feminist?
- Spiritual Structures and the Supernatural in Disney's Animated Films
- What it Feels Like for a Girl
- Got Friends on the Other Side: Religion in Disney's Princess and the Frog
- Slavonic Pagainism and Christian Themes of Death in Disney's Snow White and Fantasia
- Girl Power? Disney's Female Protagonists
- The Disney Princess and Christianity
- The Disney Princess Phenomenon
- Alice and Religion
- Wall-E and the Green Movement as Religion
- The Walt Disney Corporation as Fan Fiction Authors?