Dr. Craig F. Purchase
Evolutionary Ecology of Fishes
Associate Professor of Biology & Ocean Sciences
Fish Evolutionary Ecology Research Group
Cognitive & Behavioural Ecology Graduate Program
Environmental Science Graduate Program
Assistant Professor, Memorial University
NSERC Visiting Fellow,
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Centre
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Bedford Institute of Oceanography
Lecturer, Saint Mary’s University
Sessional Instructor, Dalhousie University
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow, Dalhousie University
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Toronto
Master of Science, Memorial University
Bachelor of Science (Honours), Memorial University
President, Canadian Conference for Fisheries Research
Dobbin Scholar, Ireland Canada University Foundation
Board of Editors, Northeastern Naturalist
COSEWIC Marine Fishes Specialist Subcommittee
Chair of the Board of Directors,
Protected Areas Association of Newfoundland & Labrador
Centre for Marine Biodiversity
NEWS FROM THE LAB
· Craig is the 68th President of the Canadian Conference for Fisheries Research. This year’s annually meeting runs January 8-11 in Ottawa
· Brendan is presenting some of his PhD research in the “Aquaculture and its impacts on aquatic environments” session at CCFFR. The session is jointly chaired by Craig and Trevor Pitcher (University of Windsor)
· Craig spent 2 weeks in Ireland as a Dobbin Scholar of the Ireland Canada University Foundation. PhD student Brittany Palm is now at the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology for 5 months to conduct a research project on salmon.
· News piece about our salmon research was published in the Atlantic Salmon Federation Journal
· Lots of salmon spawning work was done with the Salmonid Association of Eastern Newfoundland. About 125,000 eggs are now incubating in the city rivers.
· Congrats to Olivia Puckrin on passing her MSc thesis examination
· Welcome to Sean Chilibeck, a Conservation Corps Intern who is working with our team this fall
· Paper by Jeremy Mitchell and Craig on rapid colonization of a species at risk has been published in Northeastern Naturalist
· Welcome to Brittany Palm who is a new PhD student working on Atlantic salmon ecology & conservation; through collaboration with the Salmonid Association of Eastern Newfoundland via the NSERC Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship program
· Welcome to Sun Zeyu who is a new Master of Environmental Science student with our group
· Craig has been named a Dobbin Scholar by the Ireland Canada University Foundation. He will visit Galway and Mayo this fall to instigate collaborative research projects on wild Atlantic salmon.
· Craig presented research on capelin sperm behaviour at the Genomes to Biomes meeting in Montreal. Over 900 people attended the joint conference between CSEE, CSZ, and SCL.
· Congrats to honours student Aline, who has won a MUN Science Undergraduate Research Award (functionally equivalent to a NSERC USRA)
· Paper by postdoc Jose Beirão on cod sperm plasticity to ovarian fluids of wild and farmed fish has been published in Aquaculture Environment Interactions 5: 61-70.
· Video describing the Rennie’s River salmon reintroduction project has been posted on youtube. link
· Congrats to Heather who successfully passed her PhD comprehensive exam on April 8
· Welcome to Dr. Mehmet Kocabas, who has arrived for a 12 month postdoctoral fellowship with our team.
· Congrats to Violaine Pemberton-Renaud who has won a NSERC USRA and will be beginning honours research with us this summer.